Pediatrics (also spelled paediatrics or pædiatrics) is the branch of medicine that deals with the medical care of infants,children, and adolescents, and the age limit usually ranges from birth up to 18 years of age to 21. A medical practitioner who specializes in this area is known as a pediatrician, or paediatrician. The word paediatrics and its cognates mean “healer of children”; they derive from two Greek words: (pais “child”) and (iatros “doctor, healer”). Pediatricians work both in hospitals, particularly those working in its specialized subfields such as neonatology, and as primary care physicians who specialize in children.
Paediatric Medicine & Paediatric Surgery
Common Paediatric diseases that may require paediatric surgery include:
- Congenital malformations: Lymphangioma, cleft lip and palate, esophageal Atresia and Tracheoesophageal fistula, hypertrophic pyloric stenosis, intestinal atresia, necrotizing enterocolitis, meconium plugs, Hirschsprung’s disease, imperforate anus,undescended testes
- Abdominal wall defects: Omphalocele, gastroschisis, hernias
- Chest wall deformities: Pectus Excavatum
- Childhood tumors: like neuroblastoma, Wilms’ tumor, rhabdomyosarcoma, ATRT, liver tumors, teratomas
- Separation of conjoined twins
When it comes to children, we always believe that they deserve special care. The same extends in the medical field too. Our multi-specialty Paediatrics department, along with Neonatology focuses exclusively on medical care of infants and children.
While General Pediatrics takes care of children at a holistic level, our sub-specialists have mastered a narrowed field of childcare to give even more focused healthcare solutions.At Vivekananda Hospital, we have more pediatric sub specialties under a single roof than any other facility in the region.
We have a team of general pediatricians who know how to take care of your children’s health. This includes monitoring your children’s growth, identifying under and over nutrition, treatment of routine pediatric illnesses and infections and recommending a super specialist, as and when the need arises.
- General Pediatrics
- Adolescent Medicine
- Allergy & Asthma Clinic
- Clinical Psychology
- Child Development Clinic
- Emergency Service (24 hour)
- High Risk Newborn Clinic
- Immunization Services
- Inpatient Services
- Neonatal Intensive Care
- Outpatient Clinics
- Pediatric Dermatology
- Pediatric Endocrinology
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Pediatric Intensive Care
- Pediatric Nephrology
- Pediatric Neurology
- Pediatric Pulmonology
- Pediatric Surgery
- Special Educator
- Speech Therapy
- Well Baby Clinic